Saratoga, N.Y. — A woman found a way to stop her baby’s choking by inserting a catheter into her trunks and attaching a plastic bag to her mouth, police said.
Police responded to a 911 call at 8:46 a.m.
Tuesday, March 19, from a woman who had fallen into a sink and choked on her trunk.
She told police she went to the emergency room at a hospital after choking.
The woman’s son told police he noticed the woman holding the catheter in her mouth while she was feeding her newborn, and he told her to stop.
The infant then became very unresponsive and the woman took her catheter out and inserted it into her belly, police Capt. David Kowalczyk said.
“The infant was unconscious for a period of time, and we were able to determine that the catheters had actually been in her system for some time, which means that the infant is still in that state and has not been fully recovered,” Kowalki said.
An ambulance was called and an ambulance driver was able to get the infant out of the woman’s stomach.
The infant was rushed to Albany Medical Center in critical condition, but Kowallczyk did not release the infant’s name.
The woman told police that she was pregnant at the time.
Kowalklcy said police believe the infant died as a result of a ruptured intestine and she is cooperating with investigators.
The New York State Department of Health and Mental Hygiene said in a statement that it was investigating the incident.